This pasta is like a warm hug on a cold night. Pasta is tossed with a creamy, cheesy sauce infused with earthy mushrooms. This comes together in about thirty minutes, so it’s a great weeknight dinner but would also be a great vegetarian option for a dinner party or buffet. You could also add cooked chicken or beef to this for a heartier meal, but it is a perfect comfort food without any additional protein.
Mushrooms are the star of this creamy, cheesy pasta!
- 1 Shallot (minced)
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Garlic (finely chopped 1-2 cloves)
- 20 oz. Mushrooms, sliced (mixed, any varieties, I used Shitake, Oyster, Crimini, and White)
- 1/2 cup White Wine
- 1 1/2 cups Heavy Cream
- 1 cup Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- 8 oz Gruyere Cheese (shredded)
- 1 lb. Pasta ( I used Fusilli, but Rigatoni, Penne, or Rotini would work well *Use Gluten-free if desired)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped Thyme, Chives, or Tarragon (optional)
- Salt for pasta water
- In a wide sauce pan, heat oil over medium heat. Saute shallot until it begins to soften, stirring frequently because shallots singe easily.
- Add mushrooms, garlic, and a teaspoon of salt.
- While the mushrooms are cooking, in a separate pot, cook pasta in salted water until al dente, according to package's directions, drain, saving 1/4 cup pasta water. Don't save any water if using gluten-free pasta.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are soft and fragrant.
- Add wine, and cook until it no longer smells like alcohol (3-4 minutes.)
- Add cream and stock, stir occasionally over medium heat until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes. Add gruyere cheese and stir in pasta and reserved pasta water. If you forgot the pasta water, don't panic. It will be fine. If it looks dry, add 1/4 cup warm water to loosen the sauce. Cook, stirring, for about 1 minute. Sprinkle with fresh herbs, if you choose to. Salt to taste, add grated romano cheese, if you like it. Serve, and enjoy!
*Add cooked protein with pasta, if desired. *More mushrooms are always a good idea, so load it up if you like them!